Exploring Brisbane: Adventures for Every Type of Traveler
Brisbane is a vibrant, bustling city full of culture, history and entertainment. Whether you’re looking to spend a day or three discovering the wonders of Queensland’s capital city, there are countless activities to keep even the most experienced travelers happy. From taking in the hustle and bustle of South Bank to exploring the natural beauty of Moreton Bay, here is your ultimate guide to finding things to do in Brisbane.
Take a Cruise Down the Brisbane River
One activity that should be on everyone’s “must-do” list when visiting Brisbane is taking a cruise on the iconic Brisbane River. The river runs through the heart of this stunning city and provides breathtaking views from any angle! For those looking for an adventure, kayaking tours are available which offer unique perspectives and insight into some of Brisbane’s most beautiful areas. For those wanting something a bit more relaxed, sightseeing cruises provide plenty of opportunities for photo-taking along with informative commentary about local landmarks.
For Animal Lovers: Visit A Koala Sanctuary
No trip to Australia would be complete without meeting some of its furry friends! A visit to a Koala Sanctuary offers visitors an up close encounter with koalas and kangaroos as well as other Australian wildlife such as wombats, dingoes and even snakes! As well as learning about Australia’s native animals, guests can also enjoy educational talks throughout their visit as well as interactive displays. There’s also opportunity for swimming or paddle boarding in the adjacent lake if you feel like getting active during your stay!
Discover Museums & Galleries
Brisbane has no shortage of museums and galleries offering visitors an insight into some of Australia’s most beloved cultural institutions. Whether you want to explore Ancient Egypt at the Queensland Museum or take in some contemporary art at GOMA (Gallery Of Modern Art) there is something for everyone in this incredible city!
Other popular attractions include The Old Windmill Tower (Australia’s oldest standing windmill) or The Botanic Gardens which offer stunning views over the city skyline.
Our 35 favourite things to do in Brisbane
- Take a stroll along the iconic South Bank, where you can soak up the sun and enjoy the picturesque river views.
- Visit the famous Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, where you can cuddle a koala and learn about Australia’s native wildlife.
- Explore the trendy neighborhoods of Fortitude Valley and New Farm, where you’ll find a bustling nightlife, trendy boutiques, and delicious food.
- Visit the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) and immerse yourself in contemporary art from Australia and around the world.
- Take a guided tour of the historic Brisbane City Hall and learn about the city’s rich history and culture.
- Go for a bike ride along the scenic Bicentennial Bikeway, which winds its way through the heart of the city and along the river.
- Enjoy a picnic in the beautiful Botanic Gardens, where you can relax among the lush greenery and colorful flowers.
- Take a ferry ride on the Brisbane River and take in the city skyline from a different perspective.
- Go on a hot air balloon ride over the city at sunrise for an unforgettable and unique experience.
- Take a day trip to Moreton Island, where you can swim with dolphins, snorkel on the shipwrecks, and sandboard on the large sand dunes.
- Take a hike in the nearby D’Aguilar National Park and discover the beautiful waterfalls and wildlife.
- Visit the Brisbane Powerhouse, an old power station converted into a vibrant cultural and arts venue.
- Visit the Museum of Brisbane and learn about the city’s history and culture through interactive exhibits.
- Go for a swim in the man-made Streets Beach at the South Bank Parklands.
- Take a cooking class and learn to make traditional Australian dishes like pavlova or meat pie.
- Visit the Queensland Museum, where you can learn about the state’s natural history, Indigenous culture, and science.
- Take a day trip to the nearby island of Stradbroke and enjoy the white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and marine life.
- Visit the historic New Farm Park, where you can relax among the beautiful gardens, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
- Take a day trip to the scenic Glass House Mountains and go for a hike to the summit for breathtaking views.
- Visit the Queensland Art Gallery and see collections of Australian, Asian and International art and participate in the workshops and events hosted here.
- See a show at QPAC – catch an incredible performance from world-renowned performers
- Sample craft beer and taste some of the best beers that Australia has to offer
- Visit Mount Coot-Tha Lookout – admire the breathtaking views across Brisbane and its surroundings
- Try out street art walking tours – explore the streets of Brisbane with experienced guides who know all about its hidden gems
- Shop up a storm at Queen Street Mall – find anything from fashion to electronics in this bustling shopping hub
- Tour Roma Street Parkland – wander through sprawling gardens filled with lush foliage and bubbling waterways
- Visit the Story Bridge – take in the stunning views from one of Brisbane’s iconic landmarks
- Spend time on Beachmere Beachfront Reserve – relax on this beautiful stretch of sand while watching waves lap against its shoreline.
- Have lunch in Eat Street Northshore – indulge in delectable meals served up by gourmet food trucks.
- Test your fitness levels at Kangaroo Point Cliffs – scale these rocky cliffs for an adrenaline rush like no other.
- Pottery classes at Clayfield Artspace – create something unique using expert guidance.
- Trekking adventures around Mt Coot-Tha – traverse through picturesque trails while encountering amazing wildlife.
- Take part in Aboriginal cultural activities – learn more about traditional lifestyle practices.
- Nightlife hotspots such as Fortitude Valley – discover what makes this area so popular.
- Community markets such as Davies Park Market– sample seasonal produce from various stalls.
As you can see, there is so much to explore when it comes to discovering what Brisbane has to offer – no matter how long your stay may be! From relaxing boat rides down the picturesque river to exploring world-class museums and galleries – there truly is something for every type of traveler here in this beautiful city. So why not start planning your next trip today? You won’t regret it!